✗ 15 Coping Skills For Anxiety
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are used and you can read my full disclosure policy here. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coping skills are the techniques you use to minimize or tolerate stress, anxiety, conflict, and anger. In order to cope, you need to make a mindful effort to solve personal and interpersonal problems.
In the post, Your Anxiety Is Lying To You, I go over symptoms of anxiety as well as other ways to manage your anxiety.
Friends the following is a shortlist of coping skills that you can use when you are anxious.
1. Take a break and separate yourself from others; Find a quiet place.
2. Deep breathing: inhale through your nose for 4 seconds & exhale through your mouth for 6 (repeat as needed).
3. Talk to someone you trust.
4. Workout, go for a walk, do some yoga
5. Practice meditation or mindfulness techniques
6. Take a shower or bath
7. Use aromatherapy (e.g. candles or oils)
8. Journal- get your thoughts out on paper or whatever feels most comfortable to you.
9. Draw or color
10. Take a nap
11. Hang out with friends or loved ones.
12. Get out of your house/ change your environment
13. Play with your pets (if you have them).
14. Sleep Hygiene, get your zzz’s
15. Find a Therapist
This is not a comprehensive list if you find something that helps you cope with anxiety make a note of it. You know your body and mind better than anyone else, remember that.
Try a new coping skill for a week. After that week try out another coping skill!